Monday, June 1, 2009

Job interview

I had my first job interview in at least a dozen years on May 21st. For my part the interview went well and I was pleased with my appearance and performance. But they did ask a question "give us an example where you used creative problem solving?" The Santa Claus story was used as part of my answer. It's true, more so than most of my poems, and happened in Christmas of 1978.


Authenticity

Never, I say never
volunteer to be a Santa Claus

I did once.
It was a fundraiser
for my theatre group.

We had a makeshift booth
at the intersection of Westport Road
and Broadway, in Midtown Kansas City.

Never, I say never
Volunteer to be a Santa Claus
With a hangover.

My body was screaming like
a dying dog as
my aching liver metabolized the alcohol
from last night.

But everybody loved Santa
on that cold December day.
The honked at Santa.
They waved to Santa.
One punk in a pickup honked and gave a finger to Santa
(Santa gave the finger right back)

A pretty young thing with long
red hair sat on my lap
hugged me real hard and said
“I want a gram of cocaine!”
There was no doubt she would find
her Santa.

But the hardest part was
dealing with the kids.
They’d sit on my lap
look into my eyes
not see the twinkle
not see the joy of Christmas
and their faces would contort
with shock and disgust
screaming for their mothers.

They knew that I wasn’t Santa Claus,
I was just a man in a Santa Claus suit.

Never, I say never
volunteer to be a Santa Claus
unless you are actually Santa Claus
and not just a guy
with a hangover, a fake beard and
funny red suit.

Capitano Tedeschi

30
Authenticity, copyright June 1, 2009 by Jamie Jacks

5 comments:

Michael said...

Interesting post,

Preparing yourself best for the job interview and especially if it is the job interview for the job you have always longed for could be exceptionally demanding and nerve-racking. Moreover, they are the job interview preparations that could make or break the upshots on a job interview. It is better that you prepare yourself meticulously for the show and get all set to chase the success in conquering the job of your dreams. So here's how to prepare you best to succeed in a job interview and hear the extreme words of happiness "Wow! You are hired!"

Linda said...

Job interviews are about as much fun as volunteering to be Santa with a hangover. :) Congrats on not just surviving the interview, but being okay with how it went.

The poem ... wow. Jamie, seriously, you are very talented.

Oh, my word verification is lestilifi, meaning to testify about one's lustful thoughts. Your poetry is an example of lestlifying. ;)

Me said...

I just think your mind is fascinatin really really really

I hope they think so too!

Capitano Tedeschi said...

Linda & Stacey,

Thank you both reading these entries and for all your kind words they mean a great deal to me.

Jamie

30

Beans & Gravey said...

Jamie, I hope everything goes well for you. And you are an extremely talented writer.
Rallso, you're a good friend.

W.V. Rallso - meaning "in addition"