Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Odysseus of Interlibrary Loan

Odysseus of Interlibrary Loan

The wheels of the book cart squeak, like the oarlocks of my trireme
now sunk and rotting at the bottom of a Sicilian sea
14 hours by jet and three millennia away

Long ago, I snuck from the belly of that wooden horse
and laid waste to Priam’s city
I danced as the flames danced, pure as fire

The Trojan women screamed
I felt the pride of the conqueror and was the cleverest of Kings
not so clever after all, it seems, for I did vex the Gods

I am now cursed to wander these library stacks
that arise from a dull green carpet, that on odd days remind me of
some torpid stretch of the Middle Sea.

Shipwrecked, I labor as a slave for dull and petty masters
I search for an article from the Journal of Comparative Literature
and having found the article

I push my squeaky cart to the next task
dreaming still of the oaken deck, the cool breeze of the sea
14 hours by jet and three millennia away




Otra Vez, Sin amor, con dolor


The hummingbird hovers near the plastic flower,
hoping to sip nectar.
I called you in a weak moment
hoping to hear you say yes.

The hummingbird knows disappointment
but knows it will sip nectar soon.
For me alas,
it’s not that easy

Capitano Tedeschi

30

copyright 2009 Jamie Jacks

No comments: