Friday, May 8, 2009

Way to go Donna or Donna’s way to go

I'd forgotten how relaxing it is
to fall asleep on a cool night,
Donna said
listening to the Cicadas
Awaking to the kisses of my dog

The rememberance of it
grieved me terribly
I thought nothing so simple could get under
my thick skin
hard as the surface of a
coffee-colored jewel

She smiled, shook her head and said,
Me with my childish dreams of becoming
a traveller; an itinerant fortuneteller
reading palms to make a living
palms foretell the future don’t you know

It is so easy to be trapped
By conformity and rectitude
My belly ached as if my soul was
pent up in some vessel of my body
The world was a frantic vacuum
I made money by exploiting others’
myopic preoccupation with the short term

In that world
life is occupied not lived
the attributes of money and summer
the same and gone just as quickly

Once I realized that other people
could not restrain me
from following my heart
my metamorphosis was certain and ugly.
Just like when a cartoon character
stops being a cartoon
It talks a while for black line and ink
to become flesh and blood

After my escape from
the world of two dimensions
I started to read others’ palms
People called me a fantasizer
as if that
was a bad thing

Capitano Tedeschi

Way to go Donna copyright May 8, 2009 by Jamie Jacks

2 comments:

Me said...

such a good poet you are
keep em coming.

there is a little edited to be done on format in the post but the poem is heartfelt !

Capitano Tedeschi said...

sādhvī Stacey

Thank you for the comment. My computer at home is too old for the demands of this medium,hence the occasional formatting problems.

I didn't realize it at the time but "life is occupied not live," is one of my current problems.

Jamie

30