Tuesday, May 26, 2009

love song to my mongrel selves

I still seek a partner
for my role-playing games:
Cinderella,
Beauty and the Beast,
Taming of the Shrew.
Costumes welcome
but not necessary.

I know--I know --I know.
that these romantic fictions
don’t deliver long-term
opiate intoxication anymore
only a pain in my chest,
probably indigestion,
and not the ache of
inassuageable desire.

I know--I know --I know.
After all these years,
I still sing love songs
written by a rueful, wounded men
(Leonard Cohen, Paolo Conte, Me)
semi-softly to my mongrel selves
hoping SHE might overhear

I know--I know --I know!

love song to my mongrel selves copyright May 26 2009 by Jamie Jacks

2 comments:

Me said...

I want "her" to be out there for you. And I want you to swashbuckle your way deep in her heart. You are a nice and talented man Jamie Jacks

I know, I know, I know.

but so what ... It must be your turn by now!!!

Linda said...

We aren't what we appear to be, not even to ourselves.

The longing makes for better poetry than the actuality.

Good stuff, Jamie.