Saturday, March 21, 2009

Not a bad day so far

Don’t think I don’t know the difference
between a good day and a bad one.
I’ve had days…
Well you don’t know.

I mean days where I was child in the passenger seat
of a Goodwill stroller with four front wheels
and two back ones that were taken from
the rollers of a discarded Kenmore ice box.
I was being pushed by a 9-year-old former cocaine baby
with the attention span of, well something short term,
like my brother.

I was being pushed slantwise
up a slope grass and dust.
I sat rigid in the webbing of the stroller
with a look of disinterested fear on my face.

As if I really knew that at some moment
I was going to dumped like a sack of grapefruit
on to the ground
and the sensation would not well—be pleasant.

But those of you who think you know
how Life is. You think you know
that I wasn’t tossed on the ground and
that my pose of disinterested trepidation
was mere affectation.

I attained the top of the slope without incident
and was propelled by Fate or
a nine-year-old former cocaine baby
into the greater world
where the houses where clean, clear and sharp
all made of razor blades.
All the machines were gas-powered herbivores,
harmless mostly, just don’t fall into the path of one.

The sun was bright, bright yellow, like an idea
whose time was going.
I was pushed into the coming night
thinking not so bad, nothing different
Silently praying that I would not be shoved
into the side of a razor sharp house
or tossed into the path of a mechanical herbivore.

Not a bad day so far I guess.

Capitano Tedeschi

30

copyright 2009 Jamie Jacks

No comments: