Friday, March 13, 2009

Dog, Yoga and the Prayer of St Francis


Normally, when I do yoga, I am joined by my dog Bella. She will sit in the corner and wait patiently while I go through a 30 minute routine.
But she knows that after I do a shoulder stand, I go into fish pose and then lie on the floor for savasana and deep breathing. That is her invitation to start licking eyes, face, fingers and feet.
When I sit up and get into half lotus to pray, she puts her head in my lap. Imagine saying the prayer of St. Francis and now imagine saying that part of the prayer that goes
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
while petting your dog's chest and looking into those patient trusting eyes.
It is an amazing feeling, humbling and serene.
Prayer over, I hop into all-fours, chase Bella around the room, she runs down the hall and jumps on my bed waiting for me to finish chasing her. It's lots of fun.
Capitano Tedeschi
30

2 comments:

Linda said...

Very cool. :)

Me said...

precious ... I love that Bella girl. Looks like you do toooooo!

I am so glad to read the personal side of you. It's the part I like best of all. Even though your are very smart.