Thursday, February 18, 2010

War stories of my father

One of my Facebook friends, Gary Funk, has a blog My War in Europe, that documents the testimony of his 88-year-old father, who was an Army infantryman in WWII and later served as part of the occupation forces.

I thought this was an excellent idea. My father was a Marine who served in China during the last days of WWII. I have some pictures, perhas some of his letters and memories of stories he told of that time. Though my father was a Marine, he was not one who wore his Marine Corps training proudly, the way most Marines do. But perhaps now is a good time to investigate his time in China, post his snap shots and do some research on Marine activities in China in the last days of the Second World War.

So what do I remember. Colorful medals, and a silver ring with the First Marine Division badge on it, which my dad gave my when I was five or six, 1959 or 1960. These treasures, I subsequently lost. Stories that he told of his service in China, some snapshots including one of an a Navajo code talker.

More to follow.

Capitano Tedeschi

30

No comments: