Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Flying down to Buenos Aires

Tonight was my last tango class of 2009 with Barbara Bates at Greenacres Community Center in Bakersfield. It was a wonderful class. I was pleased becaused when I started I didn't know if I could even dance for a half an hour because I have two left feet and two arthritic knees.

But I've done well. The tango is a difficult dance to learn, because it has so many intricate moves. I have been taking lessons since July and the main thing I've learned is I have a lot more work to do.

I have come a long way. During early lessons, it was all I could do to try to remember the initial steps and try not to step on my partner's toes. Tonight, I was dancing, sometimes moving gracefully to the music, sometimes not. But I am glad I stuck with and didn't give up. I also know that when I return from my trip, I will continue to take lesson and probably take ballroom classes as well.

Soon I leave for Buenos Aires. The flights to and from my destination will be 13-16 hours. So I'm not looking forward to flying all that way. But if I want to go to Argentina, a long flight is necessary. I'll be by myself in a strange city, I will have the help of a local tour guide and travel agent. I've studies travel guides and read up on my destination, but I don't have a very clear idea of what I want to do. I'll get a guided tour of the city and a ticket to one tango show. My Hotel is in the Retiro neighborhood of Buenos Aires, north of the city center. I plan to eat steak, and buy some tango shoes while I'm in Argentina. Other than that, I don't know.

All that remains is to pack for my trip, leave my dog Bella with a friend, take a cab to the Airport Bus of Bakersfield and then get on the plane.

Capitano Tedeschi

30

1 comment:

jseals822 said...

Jaimie have a great time on your trip and wow Tango lessons what fun and yes the closest I get to dancing is watching the dancing with stars and so you think you can dance, junkie what can I say. What fun! Be safe and have a wonderful holiday!