Sunday, January 11, 2009

First Bike Ride of 2009

I had my first bike ride of the year Saturday afternoon. I am very grateful, the weather was sunny in the late afternoon. When I got up and went out into the morning fog for coffee and bagels, I didn't think the sun would ever come out. But it did, and for thirty-five minutes I rode my bike around the my neighborhood in southwest Bakersfield.

The air was cool and felt brisk. It was sunny with the pale straw yellow light of an early winter afternoon. My pace was slower than normal. That was due to the fact that I hadn't been on a bicycle in a while.

Cycling has taught me many things. It has taught me to be self-sufficient, I carry tubes and tools for all manner of emergencies. It has also taught me to evaluate risk and take action to avoid or eliminate them. There is great joy in being able of getting on a bicycle and riding a few or many miles. There times of great frustration as when I find I've run out of energy half way into a ride. Then, cycling isn't any fun and I am constantly nagged by the ruthless thought "the faster you pedal, the sooner you get there."

Capitano Tedeschi

30

1 comment:

Me said...

today is the day you should be out there ... it dang cold lately ... be safe deary.