Saturday, March 2, 2013

21 minutes into the ride

I was smiling.
21 minutes into my bike ride
I was smiling

Why?
I hurt
knees aching from athritis
right calf hurting
from a blood clot 10 years ago
lungs gasping for air
because I look
like Bradley Wiggins
in a fat suit.
hands numb from white spot
on an MRI

I should be home drinking
diet 7up and watching
television
instead my legs are pumping
a silly  rictus
on my face.
the bicycle seat
is irritating
the skin of my 'taint

The sun hurries west
sinking into the slopes
of the Temblors and Coast Range
the street lights have come on

I'm going down a slight slope
in a low gear
my quadariceps defying
arthritis and age
as I balance on my bike
defying time, physics and gravity

I was smiling.
21 minutes into my bike ride
I was smiling
It was the only thing
I could really do.

Capitano Tedeschi

30

21 minutes into the ride copyright March 2, 2013 by Jamie Jacks
Photo: Sunset Seven Oaks copyright March 2, 2013 by Jamie Jacks

No comments: