Tuesday, July 28, 2009

MSNBC as Democratic Party Shill

I hate to admit it, but as a liberal, I like to watch the Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow on MSNBC. I watch Olberman and Maddow because their programs are entertaining and their news reporting can be insightful. I became a fan of both these programs during the run-up to the 2008 election. I didn't like the Bush Administration and Olbermann and Maddow's programs ran stories that reflected my prejudice.

Recently my fanaticism for Countdown has begun to wane. I've noticed that Olbermann isn't too much different from his chief competitors Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, and Glen Beck. I thought this opinion reflected a new trend in the way Countdown presents the news. I discovered I was wrong. I became aware of my error after I read Olbermann's biography on Wikipedia, I discovered that Countdown was not a "traditional newscast," even though it started out that way. "Although it began as a traditional newscast, Countdown with Keith Olbermann has adopted an opinion-oriented format. Much of the program has featured harsh criticism of prominent Republicans and right-leaning figures, including those working for or supporting the Bush Administration."

Last night, I had to come to terms with the sad fact that watching Countdown or the Rachel Maddow Show was like watching the liberal version of Fox News. My epiphany came as I watched Gov. Howard Dean, former head of the Democratic Party was guest host for Keith Olberman last night. The transcript of the program is here.

I didn't bother to watch the whole program. Gov. Dean needs a lot of work as a newscaster.I was also vexed by the idea that a former official in the Democratic was hosting a network news program and was thus given an hour to spout the talking points of the Democratic Party. Okay, I'm a registered Democrat and I would probably agree with most of those talking points, but still I have some illusions that a new work news program would have some balance.

I don't have to watch MSNBC, I could watch the News Hour with Jim Lehrer on PBS, which still offers informative and balanced news reporting. There is one problem with watching the News Hour, it tries to have balanced reporting, which can be kinda of boring and I'd also have spend a half an hour listening to people who have views I don't agree with. Why should I have to do that?

There is an answer to that question and it is a good one. The problems of this country are so great right now that no one political party can really solve them. The problems we face are not red-state or blue state problems, their American problems and their solution requires compromise and also shared sacrifice. Compromise and agreement to sacrifice won't come if all we do is spend our time blaming each other for the country's problems. I know the country is very polarized right now, but if we can get past name-calling and actually start talking, people might be able come to some agreement on national problems and then start taking action.

Wow, I can't believe I actually think something like that. As for Gov. Dean, he'll be hosting Countdown again tonight (July 29).

Capitano Tedeschi


30

2 comments:

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

I deleted my prior comment to edit.

I will continue to watch Olbermann and Maddow. Love them. It is cathartic for me and costs less than psychotherapy.

I like their slant. Maybe it's my own liberal bias, but I would never compare them to Fox News. At least they are intelligent, articulate, entertaining and, as far as I can tell, not BIG FAT LIARS. :)

Further, I have seen both of them be highly critical of Obama on various issues (health and the don't ask, don't tell thing).

One of the most important differences between them and Fox News is their ability to laugh at themselves. I kind of dig that quality.